VS 2010 *.edmx EDM creation

May 5, 2011 at 9:06 PM

What fantastic software! I wish I could figure out how to create an Entity Data Model (EDM) from an existing VFP database (*.DBC). I can't view your examples in VS 2010, they do not convert. How do I specify your provider LINQTOVFP.dll in the server explorer?

Coordinator
May 6, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Thanks for pointing out that the examples were still targeting VS2008. I updated the solutions to target VS2010 and reposted the zip files. However, I have to admit that these examples are very outdated despite this change. I need to, and have plans to, put together some more current examples.

Now as far as EDM and Sever Explorer... they are unrelated to LINQtoVFP. The Server Explorer doesn’t need something like LINQtoVFP to access VFP data. You can access the data by setting up an OleDb connection. The EDM is for Entity Framework mapping and code generation. You can find similar features for LINQtoVFP in the IQToolKitCodeGen application that is included in the download zip file.

EDM with DBC… as I said, this is unrelated to LINQtoVFP. But… this is something that I’ve been playing around with for a while now. I have made significant progress towards creating a VFP EF Provider but still have a long way to go.  I've been considering creating a new codeplex project with the code I currently have to see if I could get some development help.  Either way, I expect that it will be several months until a version 1 is ready.

May 7, 2011 at 9:43 PM
Thank you for the update. I use the server explorer to load a database and then when I add an entity component to my project I can simply pick it from the drop down; however, my VFP DBC container does not show up because I do not have an EF Provider. Also, when I try to add it to the Data Designer, it tells me that my schema is no longer supported...awesome.

My understanding of LINQtoVFP was that it was a provider. I can't access VFP DBC containers using LINQ without the Entity Framework. Maybe i'm lost.

I toyed around with the beginnings of a custom EF Provider, but I simply do not have the time for this project. I will just have to stick with a disconnected layer. Long live the DataSet.

I've never coded a provider before. Any tips on where to find useful information on the subject?

Regards,
Doug

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 6:55 AM, TomBrothers <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Thanks for pointing out that the examples were still targeting VS2008. I updated the solutions to target VS2010 and reposted the zip files. However, I have to admit that these examples are very outdated despite this change. I need to, and have plans to, put together some more current examples.

Now as far as EDM and Sever Explorer... they are unrelated to LINQtoVFP. The Server Explorer doesn’t need something like LINQtoVFP to access VFP data. You can access the data by setting up an OleDb connection. The EDM is for Entity Framework mapping and code generation. You can find similar features for LINQtoVFP in the IQToolKitCodeGen application that is included in the download zip file.

EDM with DBC… as I said, this is unrelated to LINQtoVFP. But… this is something that I’ve been playing around with for a while now. I have made significant progress towards creating a VFP EF Provider but still have a long way to go. I've been considering creating a new codeplex project with the code I currently have to see if I could get some development help. Either way, I expect that it will be several months until a version 1 is ready.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (LinqToVfp@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email LinqToVfp@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Coordinator
May 10, 2011 at 1:07 AM

For tips on writing an EF provider… you should check out the Sample Provider example (http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/EFSampleProvider). You could also check out the Ado.Net blog (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/adonet/archive/2011/01/05/writing-an-ef-enabled-ado-net-provider.aspx). It looks like they started a blog series to better explain the pieces of the Sample Provider (not much content at the moment though).

Should you have the time and interest to help with a VFP EF Provider… I posted my code at http://vfpefprovider.codeplex.com/.